This is a bit out-of-order. After returning back from Portland a few weekends ago, I had July 4th off from work and decided to make some pizza for the holiday. I also had to feed my sourdough starter so figured I’d make sourdough pizza dough with the discard. I used the below recipe:
- Sourdough starter – 80 g (~50% hydration)
- AP flour – 350 g
- Water – 230 g
- Salt – 8 g
- Yeast – 2 g
I mixed all the ingredients (above), let it sit for 40 minutes to auto-lyse and then kneaded it for about 15 minutes (slap and fold). I put it in a large mixing bowl and let it bulk ferment for about 50 minutes. It was fairly warm in the kitchen/house so I didn’t have to let it rise as long. I then did 3 stretch and folds separated by 30 minutes. After this I divided the dough into 2 (these ended up being larger balls than I typically work with in the past) and put them individual bowls to proof.
As can be seen above, the dough rose greatly. Since I was making pizza, I wasn’t as concerned if it went slightly over since I was flattening the dough out anyway to make the pizza. I topped the dough with some homemade tomato sauce (I just use canned San Marzano Whole tomatoes that I crush and heat with some basil and garlic), mozzarella, and mushrooms/prosciutto.
Overall I got some good rise in the crust and it did have a slight sourdough taste to it.
I may have to try incorporating more sourdough starter to see if I can’t get more of the sourdough taste to it.