I realize that I haven’t posted in quite a while. Life has just been going on. I haven’t been all that inspired to create a post. This weekend I decided to get back into the baking game. Perusing through The Fresh Loaf, I came upon this recipe. Rather than create 2 large loaves, I cut the recipe in half. I also recently purchased some non-fat dry milk to test out since it is easier to keep than fresh milk. Since there are only 2 of us eating the bread, I also elected to divide what I did make into 2 smaller boules.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread flour (or AP flour) – I used bread flour
- 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2.5 cups bread flour (or AP flour) – I used 1 cup bread and 1.5 cup AP flour
- 1/4 cup dry (non-fat) milk
- 1/2 Tbsp (1.5 tsp) sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp (1.5 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp (1.5 tsp) olive oil
- 1 cup water
I made the preferment the night before my combining all the ingredients listed into a bowl and covering it and leaving it at room temperature.
The next day I mixed all the ingredients of the above Dough together into a large mixing bowl. I dumped this onto my counter and proceeded to knead it. I don’t know if it was due to the recent rains we’ve had making the house more humid but this dough was way too sticky.
I ended up adding in about an additional 1/4 cup of flour to make the dough more easily handle-able and knead-able. After kneading for around 12-14 minutes I placed the formed dough into an oiled bowl.
I let this sit covered at room temperature for about 2 hours to allow it to double in size.
After doubling I did a stretch and fold (within the bowl) to get some air out and then let it rest an additional 30 minutes.
I then dumped the dough out onto a lightly floured countertop surface and divided it in half. These were each formed into a ball shape and covered and let to rest an additional 20 minutes.
Following the rest, I formed each one into a boule, creating a tight seal on the bottom of the dough. One of these boules I placed into a bowl with a lightly floured cloth and put in the fridge since I was only going to bake one at a time (couldn’t fit them both in my oven). The other one I also formed into a boule and put in a floured cloth bowl at room temperature for 1 hour.
I pre-heated the oven to 425 with a dutch oven (with the lid slightly ajar…I had read about dutch ovens cracking in the oven if they were empty and covered).
Once the dough had doubled (or close to it), I placed it on parchment paper and created an “X” over the surface and placed this in the dutch oven covered. I did spray the bread with water just before covering it. I baked this at 10 minutes and then removed the lid.
I then baked it an additional 20 minutes. It had a nice crust.
Midway through baking the above boule I removed the other one from the fridge to let it come to temperature. I waited until I had a partial spring back of the dough when you pressed it with your finger. I put this boule on parchment paper and created some cuts on top and then placed this directly on a baking steel (instead of a baking stone). I also sprayed this with water and baked for ~28 minutes. This one was a little over-baked.
The taste and crumb came out great for both of the boules. I was happy with this first-time Italian bread experiment. Will definitely make again in the future.