These won’t be full posts on making the bread but just documenting how they came out. This time I did try to do normal kneading method. I don’t know again if my starter was up to snuff – though I did get good air holes in the final result. Also I’m running low on bread flour so used some AP flour as well as some wheat flour.
- 300 g AP flour
- 100 g bread flour
- 100 g whole wheat flour
- 360 g warm water
- 200 g starter
- 12 g salt
I did do an autolyse of the flour and water for about 45 minutes. I then added in the starter and salt. I proceeded to knead (Richard bertinet slap and fold method) for about 15 minutes. It came together some but was still fairly sticky. I use my oven proof setting for an hour and fifteen minutes. I then laid on a flour surface and formed it into a boule. This I placed in a bowl that had a well-floured kitchen towel. I ended up putting it in the fridge after about 30 minutes because I had to run an errand. I returned, removed from fridge and let it proof another hour or so. I preheated the dutch oven at 500F and then baked for 15 minutes covered and an additional 20 minutes uncovered.
The boule didn’t rise into a uniform shape as expected. It had more of a slope around the sides. The crumb also had much larger holes than expected. This can be attributed to a number of things as seen here: https://thebreadguide.com/large-holes/ I believe mine was probably a product of underkneading and underproofing. Oh well, it was still tasty and useful for lunches. On to the next iteration.