Last week for our work potluck I decided to bring bread since it was easy for me to do and something homemade. I had already done a trial run on some honey wheat dinner rolls but also wanted a backup. On my fb feed I saw a posting from King Arthur about how 2016 was the year of no-knead bread. Now originally when I started my baking endeavors, I started with the no-knead variety just due to the ease of it. The following link came up the weekend before the potluck. I really like that you can make this ahead of time and toss it in the fridge for up to 7 days without doing any additional work. My scale also was on the fritz – which I figured out appears to be due to low battery.
- 3.5 cups AP flour
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- ~2.2 tsp active dry yeast
Basically I mixed up all the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl. After covering it with some saran wrap, I let it sit out on the counter for about 2 hours before putting it into the fridge.
I made up this mixture on Sunday and pulled it out of the fridge on Tuesday evening to make for a Wednesday lunch potluck. I like how simple the recipe is because after removing it from the fridge, I layed the dough out on my well floured countertop and shaped the dough (no kneading, no stretch and fold, no additional manipulations). Since my scale was not working, I eyeballed the size of each roll.
Each roll was dusted with some flour. I covered the rolls and let it sit at room temperature for about 1-1.5 hours to allow it to rise/proof. After this time, I checked the roll by depressing a finger into the dough. The dough sprung back about halfway. During the proofing, I preheated the oven to 450 F. The recipe calls for using a pan in the bottom of the oven to create steam. Rather than fussing with this and tossing in water into a hot oven, I elected to just use my water bottle sprayer.
Once the dough was ready, I took a knife and made some slash marks on top of each roll. I placed the parchment lined cookie sheet of dough into the oven and sprayed the inside with 5-6 spritzes of water before closing the oven door. Initially I let the bread bake for 10 minutes, then opened the door and quickly spritzed some more water into it. I then let it bake for an additional ~13-15 minutes.
As you can see, there were some creases that opened up on the sides of the dough. This was most likely due to my not tightly rolling the dough balls into a cohesive ball. Nevertheless I think it gave them a more homemade feel. My coworkers raved and said the bread rolls were good – I didn’t end up getting to try one.
I also attempted to re-create the honey wheat rolls. However, as described above my scale wasn’t working properly, I had to eyeball the ingredients with volume (measuring cups) rather than weight. I also tweaked it slightly and so when I had my wife pull it out and start the stretch and fold process (as I had previously done: here), the dough did not come together like I had hoped. It remained a very moist gloopy mess that you could not form. In an attempt to salvage it, I put the wet dough into my loaf pan to see if it would at least attempt a rise. Luckily the dough actually did rise somewhat (maybe 1 inch in the pan) and I tossed it into the oven and hoped for the best. Overall it didn’t get the oven spring that you’d normally see but it baked well and actually had decent crumb. Wasn’t my best effort but was still good.
I’m excited to see what I will continue to try doing in 2017!